Friday, October 12, 2012

Sometimes, you just want to punch someone in the face.

Punching someone in the face. Maybe it's not proper, nor socially acceptable, but sometimes you just really want to do it. You know you've been here; life has thrown it's greatest curve-ball, fastball, screwball, and foul ball....all in the same inning, and you already have two outs. To put it simply, life at the moment sucks and you're beyond over it. Yeah, now you know what I'm talking about. Well, I can swear to being there now myself. In high school, during basketball season, if I came home from a particularly stressful day and wanted to punch something, I would go for a run. Not only would it get that blood flowing, stress perspiring, and give me a chance to cool down (not literally,) it would help to get into better shape for ball. Overall, it was a great way to blow off much needed steam. Afterward, I'd be sweaty, tired, and ready for a shower..but feeling much more relaxed and accomplished. These days jogging is more of a chore, something that has to be squeezed into my busy schedule. What if there was a jogging route that we could take that, as my basketball workout did,  benefited us in every aspect of life. Well, I found one. Hebrews 12:1 says 'Let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.' This race, while yes, requires hard work and determination, doesn't make you sweat as much as regular ol' jogging...well at least not literal hot, sweaty sweat. haha. We may sweat, but more in a metaphorical sense. Anyway, this race set before yields the greatest prize. Trophies are cool, medals are awesome, but how would you feel when eternal life was granted to you after you crossed that finish line? When running this race, we'll encounter hurdles, just like in track and field. These hurdles, however, will challenge you in a different way. Maybe it really is fighting the urge to punch someone in the face, or more likely, maybe it's forgiving someone regardless of what they did to you. Either way, this race isn't an easy one. What it is, however, is a worthwhile one! That crown of glory is looking pretty good to me. Just like an athlete conditions for his race,we must do the same for ours. Often times, above the locker room door, a motivational poster is tacked up. Before you head out of your "locker room" or more realistically your front door in the morning, remember this, 'Let all that I am praise the Lord..' Psalm 103:2. The next time I'm frustrated and have the undeniable urge to punch someone in the face, I will go run. I will increase my speed on the race set before me. I will call out to my coach, my God. I will praise him, honor him, and love him.

God Bless.

1 comment: